Timezone rules for US 2008

Topics: Developer Forum, User Forum
Jun 10, 2008 at 12:55 AM
Just downloaded the library for its .NET timezone support and I have a question: Where would I find the rules for US DST that began in March 2008?

My understanding is that DST should start the second Sunday of March and end on the first Sunday in November; however, I can't tell where is the rule defined in TzRule. The nearest start date I have seen appears to be Mar 8, 2007.

I am not an expert on the Olson Database and the time zone rules, so any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Rick

Jun 13, 2008 at 5:56 PM

Ok, got a *slight* handle on the issue...

After a closer review of the helpfile, I am testing a modified version of PublicDomain that allows me to read the tzdata files into the storage of my choice and thus not require a rebuild of the DLL when I need to apply tzdata updates.

Thanks for solving so much of the timezone problem in .NET!

Rick

sadlermd wrote:
Just downloaded the library for its .NET timezone support and I have a question: Where would I find the rules for US DST that began in March 2008?

My understanding is that DST should start the second Sunday of March and end on the first Sunday in November; however, I can't tell where is the rule defined in TzRule. The nearest start date I have seen appears to be Mar 8, 2007.

I am not an expert on the Olson Database and the time zone rules, so any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Rick

Coordinator
Jul 10, 2008 at 1:31 PM
Great, I'm glad it helps. Let me know if you need any help..
Jul 21, 2008 at 3:29 PM
Rick,
Any chance you make available the code to read the data from a source? (instead of having them hardcoded in a DLL)
Or just tell us how you went about it.
I'd love to read these data from my SQL database.
Thanks,
Nestor
Coordinator
Jul 22, 2008 at 2:42 AM
Hi Nestor, absolutely, the code for that is in the PublicDomainTests project if you download the source from the Source Code tab in CodePlex:

http://www.codeplex.com/publicdomain/SourceControl/ListDownloadableCommits.aspx

The full tzdata parser is there as well as the C# code emitter which generates the code that is ultimately put into TzTimeZone.cs. The database parser is in the NUnit test in TzDatabaseTests.cs / ReadDatabase

Thanks,
Kevin